Thursday, November 10, 2011

Vanessa's pilgrimage

A funny thing happened on the way home from preschool today...
Well, a funny conversation that is.  While talking about what stories were read, what art projects were done, what was had for snack, etc. Vanessa asked me what a Pilgrim is/was.  Hmm.  Ok, realizing I'm a little rusty at history I did my best to explain that they were people who were looking for a new place to live and settled here in America to start a new life.  Then came the follow-up question, "but mom, why did they have to come to America and find a new place to live?".  This one I'm certain I fumbled a little as I tried to think of the right way to explain religious persecution and the right to worship to a three year old.  It came out something to the effect that they were people who were not allowed to pray and believe how they wanted to believe so they left.  However my explanation went, she pondered it for awhile and then said..."so wait.  Mom, do you mean that if I can't do what I believe then I can go to a new state?!?!?".  My response..."when your a grown-up, yes".  So now I wait.  I wait for the moments to come when I tell her no, she cannot wear her Cinderella costume to the grocery store and she replies....but mom, I BELIEVE that I should be able to! 

No comments:

Post a Comment